It’s a common question asked, how to boost your immune system ready for the Winter, but many people don’t really know where to start. The great news is that you are already taking this seriously, because as we step closer to the Winter months daylight hours reduce and therefore your vitamin D levels will reduce.
Getting your health ready for winter has never been more important this year! Therefore, we are highly recommending you start now on your wellness journey, or at the very least, take a step back from your health right now and start looking at some important actions you can take to improve your health ready for Winter.
We know that Winter is always hard in the UK. The low-covering dark clouds, the lack of sunlight and the cold can push many people into SAD syndrome, something I have written about before. To cope with these rough times, it’s important to have a plan in place on how you are going to manage not only your physical health but also your emotional and spiritual health.
Here are our five steps on how to boost your immune system ready for the Winter.
- Our top suggestion is to start taking a high-strength Vitamin D supplement. The Spring and Summer have been late with lots of cloud cover over the recent months. However, we have been blessed with lovely sunshine recently, but as studies have suggested most of the UK population suffers from a Vitamin D deficiency, so taking a Vitamin D tablet is important. We wrote a blog last year about the importance of taking Vitamin D in the fight against viruses, so we implore you to read that. Vitamin D plays a vital role in the immune system, so it’s worth stocking up for the family now. We have also started selling a Mega Potency Vitamin D supplement through our supplier Lindens. We highly recommend these supplements. My husband and I have already started taking our Vitamin D supplement, and our children too (we don’t sell supplements for children, so please check out on Amazon).
- Start taking a Vitamin C and Zinc supplement. Again, we have started to sell this Linden’s supplement also. Vitamin C can only be absorbed with Zinc, which is why the two come together. Vitamin C also plays a vital role in the function of your immune system. Vitamin C aids the immune system by helping to increase the number of white blood cells. White blood cells are important in fighting infection. You can also get natural sources of Vitamin C in fruits and some vegetables, but to ensure you don’t miss your daily amount, we recommend you take one Vitamin C and Zinc tablet daily.
- Include bone broth and kefir water in your diet. I promise I am not just writing this to sell our products, but these products are important for a very good reason. All the products we make have transformed my health over the years, and that of our regular customers too. The broth is excellent at reducing gut inflammation. The health of the digestive system has been proven over the years to play an important role in your general well-being. When you have a happy gut, your body functions well and even your mood is improved. Broth contains powerful amino acids and minerals that often people are depleted in, so having a small cup of broth daily can do wonders for your gut, your mood, your weight loss, your appetite and even your skin. Our kefir water is also a powerful natural antibiotic. The high-strength gut-friendly bacteria help to replenish depleted bacteria levels that can lead to a poor immune system which result in recurrent infections and viral disease. Having a good balance of your microbiome can be a game changer when it comes to not getting sick this year. (You should also consider taking a high-strength probiotic supplement – we don’t sell any at the moment, but if you would like a recommendation, please contact us).
- Make sure you are eating a diet of natural foods. Your focus should be on leafy green vegetables, root vegetables, and high protein foods such as locally sourced meat and fish (avoid industrial farming fish supplies – try and buy from a local supplier). Make sure you include lots of lovely grains, nuts, and good fats such as natural oils – coconut, avocado and olive oil.
- Walk! Even if it’s raining get out and walk. Be brave and enjoy the natural elements given to us on earth. Whilst it can be tough to motivate yourself to get out in the cold, wintry weather, there is nothing better for your immune system. And, although there has been some thought that being cold will give you a cold, this isn’t true. You cannot catch a cold from being cold, but you can bring old viruses alive when your immune system is low, so make sure you rug up warm, wear wellies if you need to and get outside in the great outdoors. Even 30 minutes a day can do wonders for your health.
To achieve success in boosting your immune system, consistency is important. Make sure you set out a time daily when you are going to have your supplements. The morning is always good because then you’ve done it for the day. It’s the same with eating well and exercising. Make sure you are organised with your diet and your exercise, that way you can be consistent.
There are so many other points I can make in this article about how to keep yourself healthy and I will write up another article soon, but here’s a sneaky peak – drink a glass of red wine a day (not a bottle – hehe!) – I will explain in my next article why this is good for you, and work on having a healthy mind too – tips and stress-free ideas coming soon also, so look out for those.