Bone Broth Sushi
Difficulty : Hard
Sushi is a delicious Japanese dish. Typically, it’s made using raw fish, but for our sushi, we cooked all the fish.
Most people wouldn’t think you could add broth to sushi, but bone broth is so versatile that it can be added to almost any food.
To make bone broth sushi, the trick is to make sushi rice. Instead of making the rice with water, make it with broth instead for added nutrition.
- 1 x packet of sushi rice (300g approx)
- Chicken broth frozen or powder
- 10 x seaweed wraps
- 270g of prawns peeled
- 2 x salmon steaks
- 200g of cooked chicken
- 1 x avocado
- 1 x cucumber
- 1 x pepper
- Follow the method on the back of the sushi packet to ensure you cook the sushi rice in the right amount of water/broth and for the correct time. Remember, you are replacing the water with broth, so if it says 500ml of water, then you will need 500ml of broth instead.
- Cook the sushi rice on the stove, following the instructions as above. Then pop your salmon steaks into the oven. Wrap them in foil and add lemon for added flavour if desired.
- On the stove, if your prawns are uncooked and frozen, then make sure you add a little butter and cook the prawns until pink and soft. When ready move to one side and allow to cool.
- Once the sushi rice is done, make sure all the broth has been absorbed into the sushi rice. Remove from the heat and transfer into a container or bowl, as soon you will pop them into the fridge to cool for a little longer.
- Slice up your avocado into thin strips, do the same with the red pepper and the cucumber. Set to one side.
- Take your salmon steaks out of the oven after 20 minutes. Make sure they are cooked through. Once cooked, allow to cool on the side.
- Pop your sushi rice in the fridge for 30 minutes. It’s important that you cool down your rice as otherwise the heat will breakdown the seaweed when you start to roll them.
- After 30-45 minutes, take the sushi rice out of the fridge and set to one side with all of the ingredients. You will then need to take out the seaweed ready to fill and roll.
- Add your sushi rice to one of the wraps. You will need approximately two tablespoons of sushi rice added to each wrap. Make sure you spread the rice along the entire wrap from one end to another.
- Then choose two of your ingredients, such as salmon and avocado. Add this to your wrap and then carefully roll your wrap up by bringing the side closest to you over the ingredients, hold tightly and wrap over again.
- Once rolled, you will need to use a sharp knife to slice up the sushi into manageable sizes to eat.
- Set aside on a plate, and then repeat the process until all of the ingredients are gone.
- Serve with soy sauce and sweet chilli sauce too.